How to improve your child’s mathematics skills with ease
- May 12, 2020
- Posted by: MyMathsHero
- Category: Math
A lot of parents want to see their children excel in mathematics, of course, including you, but sadly, it is not always as easy as it sounds.
Thankfully, in this post, I will guide you on how to improve your child’s math competence in Nigeria using e-learning.
But before I dive into that, let’s go through some vital statistics from WAEC.
According to WAEC, 48.15% of their candidates who sat for the WEAC exam in 2018 as public students got 5 credits and above, including Mathematics and English.
The same stat shows that 33.81% of their candidates that sat for the exam in 2018 as private students got 5 credits and above including Mathematics and English.
This means that 48.15% of public candidates and 33.81% of private students passed Math in 2018 while 51.86% of public candidates and 66.19% private candidates failed the subject.
This calls for a more pragmatic approach in the way mathematics is taught in secondary schools across the country.
But the good news is today, a lot of parents and even schools are leveraging online mathematics lessons to support their children’s in-class learning.
And if you are still contemplating why here are 5 reasons you should also do the same for your children.
Let’s dive in.
Why mathematics e-Learning is good for your Children
Learning transcends walls, but for some parents, it ends in a classroom, but why do we believe that they are making a huge mistake?
Of course, let’s get started.
If you have any questions after reading this post, kindly use the comment box below and someone will respond as soon as possible.
So, let’s get started.
Here are 5 reasons you consider online mathematics tutorials for your children.
Learning is personalized
One amazing thing about e-learning is that learning is personalized.
It allows the students to learn at their own pace, comfort, and requirements in a non-threatening environment.
This means that they can learn without being under any pressure from either the teacher, colleagues, or even the classroom.
The truth is people are not the same; some can understand a concept when exposed to it the first time.
Some might need additional coaching to grasp it while others might require much more practice to master the concept.
Of course, this doesn’t mean those who require much more practice are less brilliant than those that understood immediately.
The truth is sometimes, environmental factors, health conditions, and even emotions can impact the ability of a student to understand a concept.
And since these factors are not always constant, we expect sometimes, even the most brilliant students to require additional help after a classroom lesson.
Now the good thing about e-Learning is that they are designed to permit unlimited practices. This means your children can continue to learn until they master a particular concept.
This is particularly important when they are preparing for exams.
The cheapest form of learning
In 2018, Unite for Education surveyed various public schools, low-cost private schools and BIA (Bridge International Academies; a global chain of private education facilities which aims to deliver education services for the poor)) in three Lagos neighborhoods.
The study found that in Lagos, BIA charges range from 16,000 – 18,000 Naira for new entrants and then around 11,000 Naira for older pupils per term for tuition alone at the primary level.
When you compare this with the token people pay for online education, you will clearly see the difference.
For instance, MyMathsHero is an online mathematics learning platform that empowers secondary school students to learn math online without data, any day, any time.
A session (3 terms) load of mathematics content covering all the math topics including the questions and answers (quizzes) costs only N6,500.
With the coupon code EARLYBIRD, you can even save N2,000, paying only N4,500 for quality and unlimited access to all the math lessons in a class for 12 years.
Of course, you can’t find this offer in traditional education anywhere.
According to a study by IBM, participants learn 5 times more material in online learning courses using multimedia content than in traditional courses.
In a different study by the Research Institute of America, it was found that online courses have increased student retention rate from anything from 25% to 60%.
Engaging in this kind of learning can help students to improve their competence. This is because virtual classes make unlimited practices possible, students learn at their pace and can carry out self-assessment.
One thing I love about online learning is that all these happen in a non-threatening environment. The child is never under pressure to impress anyone.
You can track progress
Every good e-learning platform has a formative assessment feature that evaluates how a child is learning throughout a course.
The good thing about formative assessment is that gives the students evidence of their current progress and this helps them to actively manage and adjust their own learning.
Unlike in the classroom where the parents have to wait till the end of the term to see their children are performing across the various courses, evaluation is in real-time in e-learning platforms.
This real-time reporting helps parents to follow their children’s progress closely.
MyMathsHero… Nigeria’s Largest Online Math Learning Platform
MyMathsHero.com is a complete web-based math curriculum designed to teach the subject virtually to secondary school students and private students preparing for external examinations.
It boasts of a robust online resource, including video lessons, questions, and answer video lessons where the tutor picks questions and solve them, teaching the students how to approach similar questions.
Other resources include math tests called quizzes to test the students’ learning competence at the end of each lesson.
The tests contain 50-100 questions that are structured to run for 90 minutes. The platform marks after submission and returns the score within 2 seconds.
The student can click a button to see the correct answers to all the questions he failed and the step-by-step worked solution. The student can study them to improve their knowledge.
The tests are designed to be practiced without limitations. Meaning, students can repeat a test as many times as they want until they master the concept.
The good thing is the parents can monitor the learning progress on their child’s dashboard, figure out areas they are improving on, areas they still need help, and guide them appropriately.
The platform is interactive, engaging, and fun.
Getting started with online math lessons for your kids
Mymathshero.com hosts about 2,400 lessons, 8000+ quizzes, and designed to enable a child to learn in a non-threatening environment, progressing at their own pace.
To enroll your child to learn math on this platform, you will need to have an active subscription.
At the moment, the platform supports only 5 subscription plans.
- Starting Plan (N650): This plan allows only 1-month access to the learning platform. Subscribers to this plan can select the only topic of their choices from any class and it also allows them unlimited access to all the quizzes that are attached to the selected topic. The plan expires after 1 month.
- Exam Preparation (N2,300): This plan gives users access to 1 exam preparation package [SS1 – SS3 (SSCE/JAMB)]. Each package contains all the questions and answers in that class both in quiz and lesson formats. For instance, the SS 3 package contains 300 JAMB/SSCE questions and answers video lessons, JAMB Practice papers (containing 2000 past questions and answers in a quiz format and SSCE Practice Papers (containing 2200 past questions and answers arranged topic-by-topic of 100 questions each). This package is updated every day. The plan expires after 4 months.
- One-Term Plan: The plan gives access to the platform for a period of 4 months. It allows subscribers to add any 6 math topics of their choices to their learning dashboard. Subscribers will also have unlimited access to the lessons and all the questions and answers relating to the topics you selected. Standard Nigerian math curriculum covers 6 math topics in a term and a term runs for less than 4 months.
- Two-Term Plan: This plan gives access to the platform for a period of 8 months. It allows users to add any 12 math topics to their learning dashboards. Just like other plans, users will have unlimited access to the lessons and all the questions and answers relating to the topics you selected.
- One-Session Plan: The plan gives users access to the platform for a period of 12months- (one year). It allows them to add all the math topics in your class to your dashboard plus the exam package plan. During this period, the users will have unlimited access to all the lessons on each topic-(about 22 topics) and all the questions and answers relating to the topics they selected.
To get started, select a plan, checkout with rave, update your profile, and add courses to your dashboard. If you need any help, always use the Help! button on the menu or get in touch with us through our contact form.
Now, to get you started right away, use the code EARLYBIRD on the One-Session Plan to save N2000 or the code STAY SAFE on any other plan to enjoy 20%.
We look forward to having your kids onboard. Share this post on Facebook and I will be super grateful.
Sign up for free to start learning with our free lessons