Improve Competency with MyMathsHero
Mensuration is the branch of mathematics which deals with the study of different geometrical shapes, their areas and Volume. In the broadest sense, it is all about the process of measurement.
In this topic, we cover the following: Arcs, sectors, segments, the Sphere, addition and subtraction of areas and volumes, change of shape and areas and volumes of similar shapes, perimeter, area of plane shapes, surface area & volume of solids. At the end of this topic, students should understand the following among other things
- How to calculate the length of a circular arc, the area of sectors and segments of a cube,
- Understand the formulae for the calculation of the area and volume of a sphere
- Calculate the outcomes when adding or subtracting compatible areas and volumes,
- Solve problems involving change of shape of quantities such as liquids,
- Use linear, area and volume factors when comparing the dimensions of shapes that are geometrically similar,
- Solve all examination questions relating to Measurement of agricultural fields, floor areas or site areas required for purchase/selling transactions. … Measurements of surface areas required for estimation of painting houses buildings etc.
Again, a student should understand
- Understand the use and definition of lines of longitude and latitude on the surface of the Earth,
- Differentiate between great circles and small circles on a spherical surface,
- Calculate the distance between two points on a parallel of latitude and the distance two points on a great circle,
- Able to determine and draw the position of a point on the Earth’s surface in terms of its latitude and longitude,
- Compare great circle and small circle routes on the surface of the Earth and calculate the speed of a point on the surface of the Earth due to the Earth’s rotation.